Monday, March 1, 2010

Back to the hill!

This past saturday I had the opportunity to trying skiing. A guy I met this past summer through a common friend skis and got a hold of me to come out to try it. It was a great fundraiser put on by the Regina Adaptive ski program out at Mission Ridge (Fort Qu'appelle). A full days worth of fun, food and great weather. I really enjoyed being back on the hill learning how to ski sitting down. Very different view! I had some wonderful help from the organizers and volunteers who extremely patience and understanding. I can't wait to get back out.

Some explanation. I am sitting strapped to a glorified sled, mounted to two skis, that when I lean to one side allow me to edge in that direction. I have little skis mounted to my arms for balance and stability and also to help steer. This is the equipment I used, check out the results.

So, thoughts that first came to mind on the drive to the hill- do I really want to be a toboggan and/or do I really want to be a snowball. Well, you will have to watch the videos below!!

And give the videos some time to load..



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Too bad the snow is melting so fast... you won't be able to practice a lot! It's good to see that you enjoy the outdoors.
Mireille

Andrea said...

So Socchi 2014? I'm at the Paralympics right now and I've never had this much fun - so many great athletes and such a great vibe. Check out Courtney's blog at skiingwithcourtney.blogspot.com!!! Seriously Joel - call me - the nordic team is way, way more fun that the alpin crew.

Anonymous said...

Nice work buddy. Glad to see that you are still making progress. Keep up the hard work.

- James M.