Sunday, December 7, 2008

WELCOME BACK.....

Hello to all! I know its been a while, so I apologize for that! It has been a very busy last couple months. I was in Toronto at the beginning of Nov. for a national SCI Conference. Very informative and interesting to see where research is headed in Canada on SCI. Although the majority of the info was geared towards new injuries it showed good post-injury potential. It keeps my hopes up.

Last weekend we were in Buffalo, New York to catch some Sabres hockey games. It was great getting family together and a trip like that is always a ton of fun. We had a mishap with my wheelchair - having a flat tire getting off the plane, so I spent my weekend unable to get it fixed leaving me in the "comforts" of a rickety beast of a chair.

The gym and physio have been pretty good. We have had some struggles with my upper body but my core and lower body have been consistently stronger with each workout. We have been attempting to work on endurance walking so below is a small caption of one of my latest walks. My record so far is 218 metres without stopping.

Here is a look at that attempt.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work bud. I hope to see you sometime soon.

Garett

Anonymous said...

Way to go Joel. Erika told me to look at the update and the video. She plans to visit you when she is home at Xmas.

Susan Weird

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update. I think of you so very often and wonder how you are doing. It looks like things are moving along well. Keep up the great work.
Allison

Anonymous said...

Have you started writing a book yet? You have definitely broken all the rules with your recovery.
Truly amazing!!!
Kathy H.

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know that I had a dream you were up and running around the restaurant with all of us. :0) Not too far off from reality by the looks of it! Keep it up! Love you!

Andrea said...

Hey Joel - looks good. So when are you going to be ready to try skiing? Seriously - I'm at a North American Cup this week with the paranordic team and I think you could give some of those sit skiers a run for their money - and the national team trains in S'toon! I'm guiding a skier with a visual impairment trying to make the 2010 paralympic team which given my sense of direction is kind of like the blind leading the... but it's a great group and if she does well tomorrow night and I don't lead her over a cliff (yes, a night race with a bunch of skiers who have limited vision in the first place... the organizing committee must be geniuses!) we're headed to a World Cup. Check out www.meyrickjones.blogspot.cm for team updates and videos.

Anyway - I'm in town for a whole day next week. Any chance I might see you?

Andy

Lindsey said...

I'm so happy that your hard work is paying off Joel. If you ever want to talk, send me an email and maybe we can go for coffee. I know it's been a while but I hope you know I wish you all the best.