Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tuesday Evening Update

A friend of Joel’s recently sent an email which I felt was more informative than I’d previously posted and I’d like to share that: “He’s got a halo keeping his head in position and decompressing his spine. The spinal cord isn’t severed and the bone chips have moved away from the spine. These next few days are important because as the swelling near the cord goes down, hopefully feeling and movement will increase.”

As mentioned, Joel will be having surgery on Friday. It’s been a very full couple of days. Joel has been feeling quite tired last night and today and has been sleeping a lot. The nursing staff is amazed at the friends and family that have been up to see him, and know how much these visits are contributing to his spirits, are helping his healing, and helping to support his family. They’ve suggested, however, that we need to limit the visits for the next couple of days to let Joel get rested up and ready for surgery.

We’ll keep you all updated on his progress, and really love seeing all your messages and support. We promise to pass these onto Joel until he has his surgery, but agree with the nursing staff that we should limit the visits so that he can get lots of rest and be as strong as possible for the surgery. Please continue to send your love and wishes, they are extremely important to all of us. Thank you for your love, prayers, and understanding.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel,

It's good to hear the progress you've been making. You've been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard about it.
I know you are strong and will make it through and that you've got an amazing family and group of friends to support you through it all.
I'll be around to see you as soon as I make it back to Regina.

Sending nothing but love and positive thoughts your way,
jenna

Anonymous said...

Hey Joel,

You have been in my thoughts since I heard about everything. I am glad to hear about the positive progress you have been making and which i don't doubt you will continue on making.
Stay strong and positive, but don't worry if you can't all the time, you have amazing friends and family who will be there every step of the way.
Kelly Lundy

Anonymous said...

Hello Joel,
Here's to your quick recovery. If anyone can get through a tough time like this it will be you. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Look forward to having you out in Fernie again next year.
Ken and Leona Farago

Peggy said...

Joel, Donna & Shane -

All of The Beach is pulling for you Joel - our love & thoughts & prayers are with you all.

Peggy, Glen & family

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel

I have only met you a handful of times when you have come in to pay your dues.... but I just want you to know that even from those handful of times - I can tell you are a kind spirit and funny - an all around great guy! I feel for you and your friends and family in this difficult time.

But I just want you to know that I am sending all the positive healing energy I can for the best recovery possible!!!

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know every little bit helps!!!

Take excellent care of your body and spirit!

Jeni Minion
Office Administrator
I.A.T.S.E. 295

Anonymous said...

Hello Joel and Family,

On behalf of the Gawley family we would like to extend our thoughts and prayers with you! STAY POSITIVE!!!

Rod, Joan and family!

Aunt Colleen said...

Hi Joel I've been reading the comments of the young ladies from the Gap in S.F.,telling you how "hot" you are. Well ,I want you to know that the past few days I'm sure you arn't as "hot" as me.
Took Shannon to apear to help me figure this blog stuff out. Now that I am started I will probably (or Not) become a formidable old lady communicator.
Love Aunt Colleen